Friday, December 15, 2006

AOL and Bill Gates giving away cash

AOL and Microsoft myth
"AOL users can recieve cash reward for forwarding a particular email to test a MSN/AOL tracking system."


Is it a hoax? Well... keep reading :-)

Here's a copy of the email claiming this :

THIS TOOK TWO PAGES OF THE TUESDAY USA TODAY - IT IS FOR REAL

To all of my friends, I do not usually forward messages, But this is from my good friend Pearlas Sandborn and she really is an attorney.

If she says that this will work - It will work. After all, What have you got to lose? SORRY EVERYBODY.. JUST HAD TO TAKE THE CHANCE!!! I'm an attorney, And I know the law. This thing is for real. Rest assured AOL and Intel will follow through with their promises for fear of facing a multimillion-dollar class action suit similar to the one filed by PepsiCo against General Electric not too long ago.

Dear Friends; Please do not take this for a junk letter. Bill Gates sharing his fortune. If you ignore this, You will repent later. Microsoft and AOL are now the largest Internet companies and in an effort to make sure that Internet Explorer remains the most widely used program, Microsoft and AOL are running an email beta test.

When you forward this e-mail to friends, Microsoft can and will track it ( If you are a Microsoft Windows user) For a two weeks time period.

For every person that you forward this e-mail to, Microsoft will pay you $245.00 For every person that you sent it to that forwards it on, Microsoft will pay you $243.00 and for every third person that receives it, You will be paid $241.00. Within two weeks, Microsoft will contact you for your address and then send you a check.

Regards. Charles S Bailey General Manager Field Operations

1-800-842-2332 Ext. 1085 or 904-1085 or RNX

292-1085 Charles_Bailey@csx.com Charles_bailey@csx.com

I thought this was a scam myself, But two weeks after receiving this email and forwarding it on. Microsoft contacted me for my address and withindays, I receive a check for $24,800.00. You need to respond before the beta testing is over. If anyone can affoard this, Bill gates is the man.

It's all marketing expense to him. Please forward this to as many people as possible. You are bound to get at least $10,000.00. We're not going to help them out with their e-mail beta test without getting a little something for our time. My brother's girlfriend got in on this a few months ago. When i went to visit him for the Baylor/UT game. She showed me her check. It was for the sum of $4,324.44 and was stamped "Paid in full"

Like i said before, I know the law, and this is for real.

Intel and AOL are now discussing a merger which would make them the largest Internet company and in an effort make sure that AOL remains the most widely used program, Intel and AOL are running an email beta test.

When you forward this e-mail to friends, Intel can and will track it (if you are a Microsoft Windows user) for a two week time period.


There is no article in the USA Today refering to this story, which claims that AOL or Microsoft or whatever is giving away tons of money.
I've searched the usatoday.com using their custom advanced search engine for many relevant keywords and phrases related to this message and it didn't return any results. You can try giving it a shot by clicking the following link : usatoday/archives/advancedsearch

So this means that "THIS TOOK TWO PAGES OF THE TUESDAY USA TODAY - IT IS FOR REAL" is not true. This is the clue that gives it away. You can even replace it with "Hey, I’m lying !" ... it makes no difference.

Further "investigations" leaded to popular urban legends reference pages like scope.com, urbanlegends.about.com, tafkac.org and so on ... you get the idea .

Another thing I found, during my "mythdigging", about this stupid story is that it's not that new. The original message was sent for the first time in 1997, unfortunately I didn't find the actual message of the email that generated this chain of reactions that still goes on today.

I can't imagine someone believing this crap these days. We receive lots and lots of emails all saying the same thing ... "if you forward this message to all your friends, my daughter/son, who is very ill, suffers from a extremly rare disease called 'Bogusanius Tumorus', will recieve 10 cents / message".

My advice is don't believe this kind of crap ! Read the news more often. These days, if some major company is giving away money then it will make it on the front page of every news website or newspaper for sure ! Don't forward the message, delete it !

18 comments:

Justin said...

I knew that it would have to be some kind of hoax. I guess people need to lie a lot better to get the public to beleive that. Just give the job to the Ancient Romans. THey were always good at lying. By the way, bo to www.ancienthistorybuff.blogspot.com or www.sciencetheories.blogspot.com. Thanks! -The History Buff

admin said...

nice blogs :)

Justin said...

HELLO! Thank you very much for commenting on my blog. Much appreciated!:) By the way, if you post anything new, I'll comment.

Anonymous said...

how do we know your not full of shit????? or that bill gates and aol started this message, then lie an say its a chain letter??? they still get their info right while they dont have to fork out money, sounds like a bill gates stunt if u ask me!!!!

Becca said...

I worked at the Jacksonville AOL call center from Jan. 2000 until Jan. 2003 in the tech support department. If we (AOL) had been doing a Beta test of that sort. I would have told all my firends and family so I could get a piece of the pie.

Brandon said...

even if this were true they there would certainly be lengthy terms and conditions in the body of the email, something to the effect of you allowing ms and aol to track your email traffic, which would otherwise be an illegal violation of privacy... Unless its the us gov't doing the monitoring of course. And nobody , not even bill gates could justify sending people thousands of dollars for simply clicking " forward all".

Brandon said...

Do you think any person that Holds any Stock whether Common Stock or other would stand for this, rhetorically asking the answer is no. Stockholders would demand for equal Dividend Payout as since of Fair and Equal Justice they would also coven for a up or down vote on the competency of the CEO and the Broad Members, this would not bowed well for the lot of them.

To my knowledge this has not been done before for reasons I list above (by all meas prove me wrong.) The closest, I recall such as this is Oprah Winfrey's 2004 anniversary show where she gave away 276 cars to audience members a new car to celebrate the premiere of her show's 19th season. That were donated by the now defunct Pontiac brand of GM.

Lastly look at Aol and Microsoft stock price at best can be described as stagnate in terms of growth. Enough said about Microsoft. Although being seen as stagnate in it of self is a amazing feat for Aol after all it acquired netscape in 1998 for $4.2 Billion, only to kill it off by 2003, Aol also acquired Compu Serve. When is the last time received any email from anyone using Compu Serve ? Then in 2000 Aol merged with Time Warner for $164 Billion, needless to say it is regraded as the worst business deal in all of history, "ever." But wait there is still more, Aol just sold off it's only well known product instant chat in April, lets just say even a 10 year old from Are You Smarter than a 5th grader was quoted (sarcasm) as saying what the... for only selling it for $187.5 M the company that bought it Digital Sky Technologies has very deep pockets, having large interest in Facebook and the gaming company Xanga. Good deal for them bad for Aol. Aol had purchased it's chat service in 1998 for $400 M. Aol's latest fiasco according to the WSJ they just reportedly sold Bebo their social website for less than $10 M. ( WSJ estimates true sell price not ye reported by Aol) Aol bought Bebo for $850 Million according to someone familiar with the matter. But Aol should receive about a $275 - 300 M tax cut from the loss.

Brandon Harrington
Berkeley CA

Brandon said...

Do you think any person that Holds any Stock whether Common Stock or other would stand for this, rhetorically asking the answer is no. Stockholders would demand for equal Dividend Payout as since of Fair and Equal Justice they would also coven for a up or down vote on the competency of the CEO and the Broad Members, this would not bowed well for the lot of them.

To my knowledge this has not been done before for reasons I list above (by all meas prove me wrong.) The closest, I recall such as this is Oprah Winfrey's 2004 anniversary show where she gave away 276 cars to audience members a new car to celebrate the premiere of her show's 19th season. That were donated by the now defunct Pontiac brand of GM.

Lastly look at Aol and Microsoft stock price at best can be described as stagnate in terms of growth. Enough said about Microsoft. Although being seen as stagnate in it of self is a amazing feat for Aol after all it acquired netscape in 1998 for $4.2 Billion, only to kill it off by 2003, Aol also acquired Compu Serve. When is the last time received any email from anyone using Compu Serve ? Then in 2000 Aol merged with Time Warner for $164 Billion, needless to say it is regraded as the worst business deal in all of history, "ever." But wait there is still more, Aol just sold off it's only well known product instant chat in April, lets just say even a 10 year old from Are You Smarter than a 5th grader was quoted (sarcasm) as saying what the... for only selling it for $187.5 M the company that bought it Digital Sky Technologies has very deep pockets, having large interest in Facebook and the gaming company Xanga. Good deal for them bad for Aol. Aol had purchased it's chat service in 1998 for $400 M. Aol's latest fiasco according to the WSJ they just reportedly sold Bebo their social website for less than $10 M. ( WSJ estimates true sell price not ye reported by Aol) Aol bought Bebo for $850 Million according to someone familiar with the matter. But Aol should receive about a $275 - 300 M tax cut from the loss.

Brandon Harrington
Berkeley CA

Liz said...

Hello .. I am truly grateful with those responsible for creating this blog, reading is something that I enjoy very much, for this reason, I have a habit to read articles like this every day. The theme was really interesting, as the content. Some time ago I attended a conference called guanacaste costa rica real estate, this conference was very creative, and also developed similar themes to those discussed on this blog.

Green Parks said...

Hello.. Firstly I would like to send greetings to all readers. After this, I recognize the content so interesting about this article. For me personally I liked all the information. I would like to know of cases like this more often. In my personal experience I might mention a book called Green Parks Costa Rica in this book that I mentioned have very interesting topics, and also you have much to do with the main theme of this article.

Retta Matson said...

Very informative blog post here. I just wanted to stop by and thank you for taking the time out of your very busy day to write this. I'll be back to read more in the future as well.

AOL Stock Price Today

Rohith said...

I am glad to find your impressive way of writing the post.Thanks for sharing the post.i'm sharing your information to all friends.
Also see my blog credit card swipe for cash in chennai

Annie Coates said...

aol.com mail sign in screen

Unknown said...

Hello Brandon. You are a great guy for informing everyone about this sick hoax. I received almost the same thing about a year ago and just was forwarded another. I appreciate the thought behind my friends sending it to me because she had only the best intentions of wanting to help me out. But! I wrote to the Bill and Linda Gates Foundation about it last year. I wanted to know if it was real. I never heard a thing from them. I later read somewhere about it only being s sick joke.The Foundation people must have thought I was an idiot. It is not a real giveaway. Nobody and I mean nobody would ever really give money away like this! Even the richest people in the world. You are doing a great job here.
Keep it up!

Unknown said...

Hello Brandon. You are a great guy for informing everyone about this sick hoax. I received almost the same thing about a year ago and just was forwarded another. I appreciate the thought behind my friends sending it to me because she had only the best intentions of wanting to help me out. But! I wrote to the Bill and Linda Gates Foundation about it last year. I wanted to know if it was real. I never heard a thing from them. I later read somewhere about it only being s sick joke.The Foundation people must have thought I was an idiot. It is not a real giveaway. Nobody and I mean nobody would ever really give money away like this! Even the richest people in the world. You are doing a great job here.
Keep it up!

Anonymous said...

Just try to call the number listed and it says cannot be reached from your calling area, "its a 800 number!" So definitely a HOAX!!!!!!

Daniel said...

There is no pleasure in being poor, you have to be competittive change your financial status now with the help of the Blank ATM Card that has no trace or risk, it will give your life a meaning,withdraw up to $2500 daily,so you can be able to pay your billswith no need for a loan and provide for your family. This Blank ATM card is a programmed card that has the ability to break into any ATM machine in the world and rendering all CCTV useless when making withdrawal contact a reliable and dependable COMPANY today via email:
davidbenjaminltd@outlook.com

Blogger said...

Do you love Pepsi or Coca-Cola?
SUBMIT YOUR ANSWER and you could get a prepaid VISA gift card!

get the latest busted myths